Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Carl Sagan blog-a-thon

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the death of Carl Sagan. To mark the occasion, the blogosphere is talking about Sagan and the effect of his work on its constituent lives.

I remember reading Comet as a kid. This was a big, difficult, but enjoyable book. Not sure how much I've retained (a comet's tail always points away from the Sun!) but it did feed and fuel my interest in science. I remember watching Cosmos on television, and taking in Sagan's obvious deep respect and admiration of our universe.

Later, I was enthralled by Contact, Sagan's only novel. I recall the wonderment towards science in the book, as expressed by Ellie, the main character. Sagan's ideas and descriptions were so fascinating that I remember feeling almost dizzy with awe during certain sections.

When SETI@home offered me a way to take part in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (Sagan was a big proponent of SETI) over the internet, I jumped on board immediately.

Perhaps as a tribute, I will finally read Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World, which I have on my shelf but have never read.

"As I got off the plane, he was waiting for me, ..."

No comments: